Tuesday, January 30, 2007

How to skip Windows Vista reduced functionality mode


I installed Windows Vista before a month. I am not using it very often, because I am using Gentoo in most time.
Last time when I tried to start it, the Windows Activation screen appear.
WTF, I must activate now?
But you can still use your computer, you can click
"Access your computer with reduced functionality
This will also allow you to buy a product key online"
They want from me to buy a key online, forgot I don't have money for Windows, and I don't want to spent it for.
I clicked on this button, and my default browser starts. It was FireFox because, I was made it default before that. And what now, I have only browser with nothing other.
Just my first try to do something worked. I tried to start gaim, I type the path in the FireFox address bar
file:///c:/Program%20Files/Gaim
and clicked on the gaim.exe, save file window appear and I saved it on the same location, then double clicked on the FireFox Downloads list and gaim starts.
The next step of course was to try the same with explorer.exe. I made the same with it
file:///c:/Windows/explorer.exe

and after that start menu and the desktop were loaded.



Perfect, not so reduced mode yet, now I can search for some Windows Vista activation crack :).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha, nice job. i'm doing this right now. if you get a crack for Vista Ultimate, post it.

Anonymous said...

sweet...I was freakin' out because all the guides to recover from limited functionality included using IE. I tried opening explorer.exe in firefox but when it prompted me to save it (like for every other download), I canceled it.